Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Good place to buy older Bolex 16MM cameras?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member The Evil Dead's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2001
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have been searching the internet in and out and haven't found the Bolex camera I hav been looking for. It looks sumtin like this:

    bolex 2

    Anyone know where I could purchase this at?


    ------------------
    The fingers you have used to dial, are to fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your hand NOW

    The Simpsons

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 8th Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well , it looks like a single bayonet mount rex-5, with an external motor and a 10-100 poe lens(?)
    Aren't there any on E-bay? It seems like when I was in the market for one , there were plenty to be had. That perticular combo may be hard to find as a whole package though. With the 400 foot mag and the motor.
    They have them at cameraspro.com. but they ask full price.
    I own a rex -4 that just takes 100 ft. loads that I found in a Dallas used camera store and I payed $800 for it. E-bay ones are often cheaper but this one looked as if it hadn't had five rolls put through it and it works very well.
    I then bought a crystal motor for it from Clive Tobin so I wouldn't have to shoot a whole movie in 25 second spurts. It's a fine camera but not quiet. I'm working on a home made barney for it now.
    Good Luck

    ------------------
    PRM

  3. #3
    Inactive Member The Evil Dead's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2001
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This is all I found on Ebay when I searched for Bolex cameras: Bolex Cameras search on Ebay

    ------------------
    The fingers you have used to dial, are to fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your hand NOW

    The Simpsons

  4. #4
    Inactive Member The Evil Dead's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2001
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Also, can you edit 16MM on a computer for NLE?

    ------------------
    The fingers you have used to dial, are to fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your hand NOW

    The Simpsons

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well you could telecine your 16MM for off-lining with NLE

    Personally I'm keeping to my mantra (rightly or wrongly) that until I'm a player who can get shoots on 35mm for a theatrical release, that I'm sticking to digital for the whole process with DVD as the end product.

    35MM? DV? it all looks the same after post-production at 720x576 pixels 8Mbps MPEG2 ... no, really, it does!

    ------------------
    N305UDB M173UBM
    (B55VOR)
    (WGO963W)

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 8th Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Any film can be edited on a computer once it has been transfered or telecined onto some digital format like mini-dv or other video format with an analog capture card.
    I've done it with 16 as well as super8 and it works out well.
    As for the comment by Miker, I'll have to take your word on it cause I'm not doing anything with DV sorce material, but something tells me I'm still better off shooting16 ranking to mini-dv and outputing to dvd.

    ------------------
    PRM

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 8th Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    112
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Try ebay again and go through: Photo, film cameras, other/specialty, movie, cameras, and then do a search for bolex and click the box for titles and descriptions and you'll get many more to look at including an electronic bayonet mount.

    ------------------
    PRM

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    of course there are technical differences between material originating on film or video. You still need skilled crew to pull it off -- a lot of videographers lack discipline and rely too much on 'auto' (hey, a bit like Windows and Linux, except Linux is cheaper than film, heh heh heh)

    but in my experience it is possible to take care over video (DV, whatever) and have it look like film on a TV. Obviously it looks pretty cack on a big cinema screen :-(

    it's all about the bottom line - I'd rather waste ?10 of DV tape than ?500 on filmstock on productions that, realistically, no one is going to see unless they happen to be up at 1am and watching some obscure cable channel.

    one day though someone WILL make a breakthrough DV feature that people actually get to hear about ... and see!

    Anyway, enough of this, it's been covered so many times ...

    ------------------
    N305UDB M173UBM
    (B55VOR)
    (WGO963W)

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member deanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2000
    Posts
    1,082
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey there.

    Here we go again.

    Despin out.

    ------------------
    "Ive got bad feeling about this."

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    and of course it doesn't offer a solution to the thread topic.

    In the UK I'd try Lee's Cameras or the London Camera Exchange

    ------------------
    N305UDB M173UBM
    (B55VOR)
    (WGO963W)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •